Thanks for the explanation.  My comments are interspersed with yours,
below.

domino400-bounces+ptrapp=nex-tech.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 08/14/2006
07:53:08 AM:

I am not talking about the joblog of the SERVER job, nor the QNNINSTS
job.
 I am talking about the joblog of your save job.  You know, the job where

you are getting the LNT0920.

Understood.

How to look at a joblog after a job is done.  Let's say your nightly save

job is called BACKUP.  You enter in the command
WRKJOB BACKUP
You may get a list of them, one for each time the backup runs.  Then you
do a 1 to select a job - normally the top one.  Once you do that you get
WRKJOB screen.  From there, if the job has completed, you do a 4. Work
with spooled files.  Find the joblog, QPJOBLOG, and do a 5 to view it.
Now
in V5R4 they've added a new system value, QLOGOUTPUT, that will keep the
joblog in option 10 - Display joblog and not in 4 - Work with spooled
files; if you set it that way.  We do to reduce the users from doing a
WRKSPLF and destroying critical joblogs.

I'm still on V5R3.  I ran WRKJOB and found five jobs in the list.  I
selected each and did an option 4, but they were all from compile attempts
of the CL program.  None of the times that I ran the program are present.
There is nothing available under option 10, which is where I was looking
last week when I asked how to find the information after the fact.  I did a
DSPLOG to find out the job name and number, but a WRKJOB with those
indicated that it was not found.

Correct, QNOTES does not normally come with *JOBCTL. That's why I put the

suggestion in there to give it to QNOTES after each Domino upgrade
changes
it back.

We really need to see the reason code for LNT0920.

I agree, but it does not appear to be returning one.

Sign on as that other user profile.  Do a WRKDOMSVR.  Do you even have an

option 1?  If that user profile does not have *JOBCTL authority you will
not see an option 1.  Also, I just created a new user with no special
authorities.  Signed on as that user and did a WRKDOMSVR.  No option 1.
Tried using STRDOMSVR and got:

I signed in with the other user profile.  Under WRKDOMSVR, I can see the
option "1 - Start Server".  And I know it works, because this is the
profile used to start the server after the CL program failed.

Message ID . . . . . . :   LNT0920
Date sent  . . . . . . :   08/14/06      Time sent  . . . . . . :
08:51:07
Message . . . . :   Error 1 has occurred, server not started
Cause . . . . . :   An error has occurred trying to start the Domino
server
  INTERNOTES, the error code is 1:
    --  1 = Not authorized to use the STRDOMSVR command.

Even though
DSPOBJAUT OBJ(STRDOMSVR) OBJTYPE(*CMD)
doesn't seem to indicate a problem.
Once I gave them *jobctl and had them sign back on it worked fine.

Does the joblog of your backup job say it is running underneath a user
profile with *JOBCTL?

The joblog doesn't appear to be available, but the system log (DSPLOG)
indicates that the user associated with the job is the user profile that I
used to manually start the server.

Here's what I'm getting in the message details in the system log.

Message ID . . . . . . :   CPF9999       Severity . . . . . . . :   40
Message type . . . . . :   Escape
Date sent  . . . . . . :   08/11/06      Time sent  . . . . . . :
06:33:01
Message . . . . :   Function check. LNT0920 unmonitored by RESTRQPPGM at
  statement 3200, instruction X'0039'.
Cause . . . . . :   An escape exception message was sent to a program which
  did not monitor for that message. The full name of the program to which
the
  unmonitored message was sent is RESTRQPPGM  . At the time the message was
  sent the program was stopped at higher level language statement number(s)
.
  If more than one statement number is shown, the program was a bound
program.
  Optimization does not allow a single statement number to be determined.
If
  *N is shown as a value, it means the actual value was not available.
Recovery  . . . :   See the low level messages previously listed to locate
the
  cause of the function check.  Correct any errors, and then try the
request
  again.

Does the program adopt authority of someone who does NOT have *JOBCTL?

Not intentionally.  Where would I check for this?

Are you using any profile switching api's that are causing you grief?

Doubt it.  The only thing running on this server is the Domino servers, and
there are literally only three user profiles that anyone can log in with.
The two of us that might log in have no reason to add any API's to the
system.

If the LNT0920 message has a reason code of 1, then the odds are high
that
you are suffering one of the above.

I wish I could tell one way or the other.  Thanks for all the time taken to
explain.  Any idea what I'm missing as I look around?  Maybe I need to
change a parameter on my job?

Patrick