Ahh, defective PTFs.... When I was a newbie I crashed our failover iSeries
applying some PTFs. This was back in December of 2000 when I had been
fresh out of college in May and working with the AS/400s. We were pretty
religious about scouring through the defective PTF lists back then. I had
spreadsheets setup, etc.... Pretty cool little system. Anyway, about a
week prior we loaded the PTFs on our production box (why in the world my
bosses did that instead of loading on failover first I still don't know!).
We had some issues and found that one of the PTFs on that latest CUME was
bad. So, my boss told me to make sure I excluded it when doing the
failover PTFs. I still swear to this day that I double-checked to make
sure it wasn't loaded, but when I was bringing the box back up - bam!

Couldn't even get to the A side to remove it! Had to slip the LIC and
reinstall completely!!! Fun experience for me...lol

Chris Whisonant
Comporium
Senior Mid-Range Systems Administrator
IBM eServer Certified Systems Expert - iSeries Technical Solutions V5R2
IBM Certified System Administrator - Lotus Notes and Domino 6/6.5
803.326.7270 | 803.326.6142 fax
http://cwhisonant.blogspot.com/

domino400-bounces+chris.whisonant=comporium.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on
04/21/2005 08:31:31 AM: