Bob,

I believe you are pretty much right with that. However, I think that the A
side is meant only for permanently applied MF (hardware) PTFs and that
software PTFs would be the same as on the B side.

OK, I think I was right as I found this to confirm...and the statement
that "when the operating system is upgraded to a new release, the A side
and B side match." leads me to think that it may be unnecessary to perm
apply the PTFs before installing a new release. Although, it is in IBM's
documentation that you should do this.

http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/slkbase.nsf/3cdf5d853ca698198625680b00020369/6e3958aef5fb1646862565c2007d201d?OpenDocument

Question:

What is the difference between the A side and the B side?

Answer:

A/B side concepts are relative to LIC and not to OS/400 or LPP PTFs. When
a new system is shipped or when the operating system is upgraded to a new
release, the A side and B side match. When LIC PTFs are temporarily
applied, they are applied to the B side. If you have temporarily applied
LIC PTFs and you are running on the A side, you will not be running with
the PTFs.

Previous to V3R1M0, you had to be running on the A side to apply PTFs to
the B side. When GO PTF, Option 8 is used to apply LIC PTFs, the system
determines if you are running on the A side or the B side. If you are
running on the A side, the LIC PTFs are applied immediately. The system is
IPLed to the B side to apply the rest of the PTFs. If you are running on
the B side, the system does a partial IPL to the A side to apply the LIC
PTFs. The system is IPLed back to the B side to apply the rest of the
PTFs.

Starting in V3R1M0, immediate LIC PTFs can be applied to the B side while
you are running on the B side. If you are on the B side and you use GO PTF
, Option 8 Automatic IPL Y to apply immediate LIC PTFs. The system IPLs to
the B side to apply the PTFs. The system does not IPL to the A side.
Delayed LIC PTFs in V3R1 and beyond function the same way all LIC PTFs
functioned before V3R1M0. Permanently applying LIC PTFs puts the PTF on
the A side. Once the PTF is permanently applied, it cannot be removed.

Chris Whisonant
Comporium
Senior Mid-Range Systems Administrator
IBM eServer Certified Systems Expert - iSeries Technical Solutions V5R2
IBM Certified System Administrator - Lotus Notes and Domino 6/6.5
803.326.7270 | 803.326.6142 fax
http://cwhisonant.blogspot.com/

domino400-bounces+chris.whisonant=comporium.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on
04/20/2005 06:03:53 PM:

> My understanding is, there are two layers of the OS on the iSeries
running
> on what is referred to as the A side and B side of the system.  Most
> iSeries are typically IPL'd from the B side of the OS.  When the OS is
> loaded, carbon copies exist on the A side and B side. When PTF's are
> loaded, they are loaded to the B side, system runs from the B side and
> hopefully all is well.  If something goes drastically wrong with the
PTF's
> loaded on the B side, the system can be IPL'd from the A side and run as
> before the PTF's were loaded.  If the PTF's are good, before loading the
> latest CUM or Group, permanently applying the PTF's will load them onto
the
> A side, new PTF's are now loaded on the B side.  So you always have a
> fallback position by IPLing from the A side.
>
> If I have any of this wrong -- someone else please chime in...
>
> Bob
>

>              rob@xxxxxxxxx
>              Sent by:
>              domino400-bounces To
>              +rlaing=gemko.com         Lotus Domino on the iSeries /
AS400