  • Subject: Re: 6.04 CS to 6.10.1 Conversion/Implementation
  • From: "Chick Doe" <Cdoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 17:00:56 -0800

dear genyphyr,

in no way was my comment intended to be anything other than a user experience.
in no way was it intended to make any type of statement about bpcs or how it
runs. all we know is that we installed bpcs using the 'default' port of 5000.
which worked just fine for us on V3R7 and V4R2. when we did the upgrade to V4R4
we did run into a conflict with this port. yes, we called the help line and
yes, once we learned that port 5000 was already being used, we were able to
reconfigure both the host and client tcp/ip setting to use another port. this
has worked just swell for us ever since. (here's a comment - the help line was
able to give us advice on how to change the port numbers and solve our problem.
HURRAY FOR THE HELP LINE!)

no as for the specifics i have done a work with tcp/ip connection status and i
see many ports in the 5000 range in an active listen status. the associated
user profile is QTMTWSG. at this point i'm into this over my head! basically
every even numbered port from 5002 up to 5100 is in this status. at this moment
port 5000 is available, but it was not immediately after our upgrade. and to
all that read this, i'm not making a statement that ibm is doing this on
purpose. we may well have configuration issues with our system. sometimes we
get things to work and move on to the next issue without fully understanding
every little nuance about what is going on (are we unique?)

chick doe
barton instrument systems
>>> novakg@ssax.com 02/12/01 04:43PM >>>
Hi Chick,

Thanks for the information, but I have a comment and a question.

Just to clarify: There is nothing in the BPCS software that hard-codes this
port. This is a parameter which the end-user provides when launching the
daemon job, via either the STRALD command or the old way (prior to BMR39659)
where the SBMJOB command is used to CALL ALAUNCH.

The number '5000' is given in the installation instructions as an example.
The instructions also mention that you can use ANY unused port number on
your system when launching this job, and that 2 daemons can not run on the
same port.

And as far as we were aware, no software provided by IBM at V4R4 was
hard-coded to use port 5000, as they usually reserved the lower port range
for their functions (this is why we settled on the number '5000' for our
example). We had the V4R4 release running here for several months until we
recently upgraded to V4R5 and I don't remember running into this situation
at all. It also was not mentioned in their change documentation.

Just in case this is an IBM application specific issue, can you tell me what
is port 5000 used for in the V4R4 software set up?

I did see one Helpline incident entered by your company in the past year for
the new 6100 installation and the problem with starting up ALAUNCH was
traced to trying to start the daemon for 6100 to the same port that you were
using for the environment in 6004 - that doesn't have anything to do with
V4R4 - it has to do with your BPCS set up - is that the problem you are
referring to?

Can you clarify as to whether the operating system changed at V4R4 or if
this was a BPCS environment problem at your site?

Thanks

Genyphyr Novak
SSA GT