Love the transparency. Now we can start making progress.

Seems to me that NOT moving stuff from the YiPS site was your perspective
when we first talked about this. Not wanting to break links,

I mostly didn't want to disrupt the literally priceless contributions we
were/are getting from Tony Cairns. When Tony was ready to move on then so
was I.

You now have begun consolidating content just like the volunteers could
have at Common.

There's a disconnect that I hope some day gets resolved. I don't know who
is COMMON and who isn't. I volunteered for 13-14 engagements (sessions,
expert panels, etc) at COMMON Annual conference. All of it
donated/volunteered to COMON (KrengelTech paid for everything). I do my
best to "toe the line" and consider myself a COMMON volunteer, but I always
hit a glass ceiling.

Now, to address your other comments. Yes, a number of us took the ball and
ran with it. Time is of the essence. You should have handed the ball off
if you're constrained. Today those things have gained ground. There's a
very small group of people that are ignoring the politics and getting stuff
done (hint, a lot of them are in the ClubSeiden group plus a few other
beyond).

Further, the concept of YiPs needs to be reconsidered. The ~heart~ of YiPs
is alive and well with the likes of Kody Robinson, Liam Allan, David
Dressler, Chuk Shirley, Chris Hird, and a variety of others. Look at what
they're doing and board their bandwagon. Further to that comment, when I
was on the YiPs committee I said getting a community server up and running
was one of the few ways forward because people needed *access*. That
committee didn't want to pursue, or ignored the idea; I didn't hear back.
So I got KrengelTech to fund the creation of Litmis Spaces. We are now
counting in the hundreds the number of people that have learned open source
on IBM i. For free.

And finally, I had no way of knowing your intentions because there came a
point where the community/me was no longer involved in this particular
vein**. I asked and was trying to toe-the-line, but my emails weren't
returned: http://www.screencast.com/t/Lasgl9JD4 I am only going down this
path because your response made it sound like the community went rogue, and
instead we did it with every good intention of furthering what took place
at the conference.

Hopefully water under the bridge, we can patch this up.

** I say this particular vein because I don't want to paint with a broad
brush. Ian Cartwright has been very good to work with concerning COMMON's
Forum (open source, systems management) conference.

Since we are talking transparency, you have pulled lots of content in
around your company's banner.

Company is KrengelTech, the opensource arm is Litmis. All open source
things I've worked on have been pulled in under Litmis. Everything has
been intentionally put in Bitbucket with MIT/BSD (extremely permissive)
licenses. This is so at any point in time if Litmis became a bad steward
of the repo it can be easily forked. For the record, IBM has
core-committer status on all the repos and others are welcome.

FWIW, all open source is paid for by somebody. Every hour donated to open
source was possible because that developer has an employer paying their
salary. KrengelTech pays mine and I've donated many hundreds of hours in
the past couple years (a lot of it after hours and on the weekends). I
don't have any issue putting Litmis on stuff. Instead we should always
look to see if whoever owns a repo is being a good steward of it. I am
open to critique of this mindset.

Also, for the record, KrengelTech has every intention of finding ways to
profit from open source on IBM i. I believe we're unique in the IBM i open
source space because not only do we profit but we give a lot back.
Probably more than we should. But that's the heart of the org.

While I was typing the COMMON Connect issue came in. You, Pete, wrote this
article: https://view.publitas.com/common/connect_june2016/page/12-13 In
it you state this:

"Content is a little sparse right now so I am going to solicit, once again,
for links and content of any type. Almost anything is fair game! Send the
info to me at opensource@xxxxxxxxxx and I'll get it".

Open source and community will have very limited success if it needs to go
through a single person. Your call. I just don't see the approach working.

Sheesh! Why are you so down on Common......?

I like to think of it as giving useful outside-looking-in views. I like to
think I am doing it with respect, but maybe I need to use softer words. If
I see COMMON doing something that I believe will be a waste of time then I
am going to declare it to save them the pain. Why? Because I have
invested hundreds of volunteer hours into COMMON and I deem it a worthwhile
org to continue to invest in.

At the end of the day I am looking to get on whatever bandwagon is making
progress, in the open. I hope COMMON is part of the process, because
COMMON is a big deal.

Aaron Bartell
litmis.com - Services for open source on IBM i