From: <jpcarr@tredegar.com>
To: <midrange-nontech@midrange.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 7:32 AM
Subject: Re: New iSeries model ?

| >US to create 'computer brain'
| >The gap between man and machine narrows today with the
announcement that
| >scientists have begun work on the first supercomputer
with a processing
| >power equivalent to the human brain.
| >Spencer Abraham, the American secretary of state for
energy, will announce
| >a contract with IBM to build two supercomputers one and a
half times more
| >powerful than the combined might of the 25 largest
existing
| >supercomputers.
| >The machines, made up of 197 refrigerator-sized boxes
each weighing one
| >ton, can crunch half a quadrillion -
500,000,000,000,000 - calculations
| >every second, estimated to be the same magnitude of
'thinking capacity' as
| >the human brain.   Neil
|

| Now what "Process" needs that much computing power?   Hmm.
I wonder how
| many Tera's of DASD?
| Lets see,  280 million people 50-100 Different transaction
per day....
| On line by 2004( just 20 years late)   J. Edgar Hoover,
and Joe McCarthy
| would have LOVED to have that computer.
|
| Imagine what you can keep track of?
| I wonder if it has anything to do with this?
| John
| buy and medical prescription you fill, every Web site you
visit and e-mail
| you send or receive, every academic grade you receive,
every bank deposit
| you make, every trip you book and every event you attend ?
all these
| transactions and communications will go into what the
Defense Department
| describes as "a virtual, centralized grand database."
|
| To this computerized dossier on your private life from
commercial sources,
| add every piece of information that government has about
you ? passport
| application, driver's license and bridge toll records,
judicial and divorce
| records, complaints from nosy neighbors to the F.B.I.,
your lifetime paper
| trail plus the latest hidden camera surveillance ? and you
have the
| supersnoop's dream: a "Total Information Awareness" about
every U.S.
| citizen.
| This is not some far-out Orwellian scenario. It is what
will happen to your
| personal freedom in the next few weeks if John Poindexter
gets the
| unprecedented power he seeks.
|
| Remember Poindexter? Brilliant man, first in his class at
the Naval
| Academy, later earned a doctorate in physics, rose to
national security
| adviser under President Ronald Reagan. He had this
brilliant idea of
| secretly selling missiles to Iran to pay ransom for
hostages, and with the
| illicit proceeds to illegally support contras in
Nicaragua.
| A jury convicted Poindexter in 1990 on five felony counts
of misleading
| Congress and making false statements, but an appeals court
overturned the
| verdict because Congress had given him immunity for his
testimony. He
| famously asserted, "The buck stops here," arguing that the
White House
| staff, and not the president, was responsible for fateful
decisions that
| might prove embarrassing.
|
| This ring-knocking master of deceit is back again with a
plan even more
| scandalous than Iran-contra. He heads the "Information
Awareness Office" in
| the otherwise excellent Defense Advanced Research Projects
Agency, which
| spawned the Internet and stealth aircraft technology.
Poindexter is now
| realizing his 20-year dream: getting the "data-mining"
power to snoop on
| every public and private act of every American.
|
| Even the hastily passed U.S.A. Patriot Act, which widened
the scope of the
| Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act and weakened 15
privacy laws, raised
| requirements for the government to report secret
eavesdropping to Congress
| and the courts. But Poindexter's assault on individual
privacy rides
| roughshod over such oversight.
|
| He is determined to break down the wall between commercial
snooping and
| secret government intrusion. The disgraced admiral
dismisses such necessary
| differentiation as bureaucratic "stovepiping." And he has
been given a $200
| million budget to create computer dossiers on 300 million
Americans.

| When George W. Bush was running for president, he stood
foursquare in
| defense of each person's medical, financial and
communications privacy. But
| Poindexter, whose contempt for the restraints of oversight
drew the Reagan
| administration into its most serious blunder, is still
operating on the
| presumption that on such a sweeping theft of privacy
rights, the buck ends
| with him and not with the president.
|
| This time, however, he has been seizing power in the open.
In the past week
| John Markoff of The Times, followed by Robert O'Harrow of
The Washington
| Post, have revealed the extent of Poindexter's operation,
but editorialists
| have not grasped its undermining of the Freedom of
Information Act.

| Political awareness can overcome "Total Information
Awareness," the
| combined force of commercial and government snooping. In a
similar
| overreach, Attorney General Ashcroft tried his Terrorism
Information and
| Prevention System (TIPS), but public outrage at the use of
gossips and
| postal workers as snoops caused the House to shoot it
down. The Senate
| should now do the same to this other exploitation of fear.
|
| The Latin motto over Poindexter"s new Pentagon office
reads "Scientia Est
| Potentia" ? "knowledge is power." Exactly: the
government's infinite
| knowledge about you is its power over you. "We're just as
concerned as the
| next person with protecting privacy," this brilliant mind
blandly assured