>I would imagine that this new computer will be doing the same thing,
>although given the Bush administration's penchant for secrecy, if anyone
>said what it was for they might find themselves in an eight-by-ten chain
>link enclosure in Guantanamo, Cuba.

Andy
I would invite you to reread my prior post containing this.

(BTW,  it passed, and I don't think 99% of the public has a clue of what's
in the Security Act.)
Isn't great that they are getting the computing hardware to accomplish it.

"Yer agin terrorist aint ya?  Well we need to know these things about you"
Who said the paraphrased americanized line above?    That's right Joe
Stalin.

Remember "If you ain't doing anything wrong,  why should you worry?"

<SNIP>
WASHINGTON ? If the Homeland Security Act is not amended before passage,
here is what will happen to you:

Every purchase you make with a credit card, every magazine subscription you
buy and medical prescription you fill, every Web site you visit and e-mail
you send or receive, every academic grade you receive, every bank deposit
you make, every trip you book and every event you attend ? all these
transactions and communications will go into what the Defense Department
describes as "a virtual, centralized grand database."

To this computerized dossier on your private life from commercial sources,
add every piece of information that government has about you ? passport
application, driver's license and bridge toll records, judicial and divorce
records, complaints from nosy neighbors to the F.B.I., your lifetime paper
trail plus the latest hidden camera surveillance ? and you have the
supersnoop's dream: a "Total Information Awareness" about every U.S.
citizen.
This is not some far-out Orwellian scenario. It is what will happen to your
personal freedom in the next few weeks if John Poindexter gets the
unprecedented power he seeks.

He is determined to break down the wall between commercial snooping and
secret government intrusion. The disgraced admiral dismisses such necessary
differentiation as bureaucratic "stovepiping." And he has been given a $200
million budget to create computer dossiers on 300 million Americans.

 In the past week John Markoff of The Times, followed by Robert O'Harrow of
The Washington Post, have revealed the extent of Poindexter's operation,
but editorialists have not grasped its undermining of the Freedom of
Information Act.

The Latin motto over Poindexter"s new Pentagon office reads "Scientia Est
Potentia" ? "knowledge is power." Exactly: the government's infinite
knowledge about you is its power over you.
<SNIP>