Thanks John.

I'm still a bit confused, but it kinda' sounds like what we'd call a Chief
Operating Officer or something like that. All public companies here have a
board of directors headed by a chairman (usually part time) and a
CEO/Managing Director running reporting straight to the board. (Managing
Director was more in use in the eighties, CEO seems to be more popular
since the nineties). Smaller companies, or sometimes divisions within large
companies, would be headed by a general manager. (Probably similar to what
you'd call a president I guess).

Anyway, it sounds like we just use different terminology for the same
thing.

Thanks for the response, I was just curious.

Thanks

Adam

                      "jt" <jt@ee.net>
                      Sent by:                        To:
<midrange-nontech@midrange.com>
                      midrange-nontech-admin@m        cc:
                      idrange.com                     Subject:  RE: Corporate
structure

                      07/11/02 07:06 AM
                      Please respond to
                      midrange-nontech

<Catchin' up on a few of the lists, fer a bit, and saw this interesting
question...>

Adam,

I don't know what the textbook definitions are.  From some reading and in
my
experience, You have different "roles played", and it depends a lot on size
of the organization and corporate culture.

In general, large companies are owned by the shareholders of stock in the
company.  The shareholders elect a BOD (Board of Directors) to represent
their interests.  The COB (Chairman) being the lead.  One of the primary
tasks of the Board is to hire people to run the company.  I'm not sure if
Boards generally hire the President/CEO and S/He does the rest of the
hiring
or not.

In smaller companies there's no need for a CEO.  In larger companies the
CEO
and president may, or may not, be the same person.  If not, the President
would report to the CEO.

My former boss was promoted from President of a $500M subsidiary, to
President of the $2.2B parent org.  About 3 months later, He was promoted
CEO, so He now reports directly to the Board rather than through an
intermediary...  This was basically a vote-of-confidence by the BOD (which
happens to be 2/3 owned by one person and His family)...  It was indicating
that the BOD liked the changes and intended direction that the President
was
putting in place.

Btw, one of the BIGGEST things that Mr. Gerstner was able to do, (because,
at the time, pretty much everybody felt that taking the job of President of
IBM was a career-ending move), was insist on BOTH the jobs of CEO and COB.
(I believe that'd been rarely done if ever at IBM, though it is common in
SME and always the case in Mom-and-Pop corporations.)  And one of the
biggest perks of a COB is having some tremendous influence in the selection
of their successor (of course, ONLY if they were relatively successful as
COB!)...  The successor chosen would carry on the legacy of the former COB,
to an extent, as well as forge their own direction for the corporation.

hth, jt