I know this is a bit long-winded, but I'm hoping that this background
info (instead of just saying "do X, Y and Z") will help you understand
what's going on.

This is exactly what I was after, so don't apologize. Thank you for being long-winded.

Using the ar command I figured out the two libiconv.a files I have contained completely different shared objects. I extracted the contents of both to a folder in my home directory and created a new archive with all 3 files in /opt/freeware/lib! Now cURL works!

The issue I had before was I could fix one command but another command would break. Now that the archive has all three files, so far so good. Everything seems to be working.

This is going to be a big help moving forward. Thanks for the help, Scott!