Dependency hell with cURL and libiconv.a

fixed

I have been playing on and off with getting several common Unix commands working on the system. Many seem to be working, but I get this when I try to use cURL (which impacts many other commands and scripts):

exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program curl because of the following errors:
0509-022 Cannot load module
/opt/freeware/lib/libidn.a(libidn.so.11).
0509-150 Dependent module
/usr/lib/libiconv.a(libiconv.so.2) could not be loaded.
0509-152 Member libiconv.so.2 is not found in archive
0509-022 Cannot load module curl.
0509-150 Dependent module
/opt/freeware/lib/libidn.a(libidn.so.11) could not be
loaded.
0509-022 Cannot load module.

What bothers me is I think this means that libidn.a is looking at /usr/lib for libiconv.a and is finding the wrong version. I believe /usr/lib contains the libraries and dependencies provided by IBM, so I don't think I want to mess with any thing there.

What is the safest way to get libidn.a the right version of libiconv.a? I want my cURL command to work without breaking stuff. I sort of get Unix dependencies and such, but not well enough (yet) to know a way to fix this. Every suggestion I see online from AIX gurus involves recompiling.

I hope there is an easier solution.