Recompile is the name of the game in unix and IBM i land.

Change a file (like add a field) and your RPG program broke? Recompile.

What your experiencing is DLL hell, but with a unix flare. They actually called it dependency hell on the unix side of things.

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Lavinder [mailto:mlavinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2014 3:00 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Dependency hell with cURL and libiconv.a

I have been playing on and off with getting several common Unix commands working on the system. Many seem to be working, but I get this when I try to use cURL (which impacts many other commands and scripts):

exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program curl because of the following
0509-022 Cannot load module
0509-150 Dependent module
/usr/lib/libiconv.a( could not be loaded.
0509-152 Member is not found in archive
0509-022 Cannot load module curl.
0509-150 Dependent module
/opt/freeware/lib/libidn.a( could not be
0509-022 Cannot load module.

What bothers me is I think this means that libidn.a is looking at
/usr/lib for libiconv.a and is finding the wrong version. I believe
/usr/lib contains the libraries and dependencies provided by IBM, so I
don't think I want to mess with any thing there.

What is the safest way to get libidn.a the right version of libiconv.a?
I want my cURL command to work without breaking stuff. I sort of get
Unix dependencies and such, but not well enough (yet) to know a way to
fix this. Every suggestion I see online from AIX gurus involves

I hope there is an easier solution.