On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 9:18 AM, Buck Calabro <kc2hiz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 9/3/2014 10:32 PM, John Yeung wrote:
I disagree that green screens are dying any faster than printer
output. Where I work, print is pretty much dead.

There is an important lesson here. Midrange shops come in many
varieties.

Very true.

Sadly, many of us work in places where... where 'time
tested' processes remain firmly entrenched.

That would describe my workplace as well. It
<strike>infects</strike>affects practically every facet of our
operations.

Re: Partial laundry list of user rationale for printed output

Was this just an illustration of how difficult it is to get some folks
away from printed output, or does it also imply that your users have
been less resistant to migration away from green screens? And if the
latter, how successful have you been at migrating away from green
screens? The reason I ask is that the technical issue still remains:

Finally, regardless of how easy or hard it is to learn other UI
technologies and paradigms, in large existing systems, it's easier to
replace printer files one by one in organic fashion than it is to
replace a display file here and a display file there.

Granted, different shops are very different. Maybe in some places, it
is indeed easier to replace display files organically. I struggle to
see how that would be the case, though.

John Y.