On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 9:31 AM, DrFranken <midrange@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
All that said, you can learn from that machine about hardware and RAID and
Mirroring and installs and PTFs and whatnot. You cannot do anything modern
with it anyway, no zend, no Ruby, no serious SQL, no fully free RPG, no
advanced networking none of the new web tools and on and on.

Well, someone mentioned that the 170 supports V5R3. If that's the
case, and if he can get his hands on it, then technically, I believe
he *could* at least do Zend and PHP. I don't know about Ruby for i,
but Python is about as powerful, easy to use, and modern as Ruby, and
the latest iSeriesPython will run on V5R3.

However, he did say that what he has *now* is V5R2, and that sadly is
one version too early for lots of the goodies. Still, there is an
older iSeriesPython that runs on V5R2 (I used this myself for many
years), and it is in many ways "more modern" than, say, even today's
RPG.

John Y.