I've helped quite a few customer "modernize" their applications by putting
them on the web (both intranet and internet). If done right, they love it
and ask for more.

It normally starts small. Maybe an open orders list. Then it grows when
they see what can be done.

The biggest issue I have is that the web technology changes so fast that
every 2-3 years you wish you could go back and implement the new
technologies (jQuery comes to mind... 5 years from now, it will be
something else that may replace that).

There are even instances I can think of 10+ years ago where a kit like
CGIDEV2 or eRPG SDK was not used.. just API wrappers! Yes, still in
production and working fine. But man, it would be so nice to convert them
over.

The second biggest issue is I'm a programmer, not a page designer. :) I
can make it functional as heck, but making it look super pretty should be
left to those that can do that. Most of those that can make them look nice
can't handle the functionality part. So if you find the right designer,
you can make a great team and provide an excellent product.

The third issue is browser compatibility. I've run into a lot of shops
where they have Javascript turned off, are using IE 7 or lower, and can't
or won't change that.

Brad
www.bvstools.com