"Jim Oberholtzer" <midrangel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on Mon, 25
Aug 2014 18:24:28 GMT:

We know that P8 will use internal storage, except, as I
understand it, if you have the back plane split so you can run
dual VIO Servers.

No, the split backplane is supported by IBM i so you do not have
to run dual VIO servers. This means you could have VIOS for
NPIV using 1/2 the disk bays. Then sitting right beside an IBM
i LPAR using the other 1/2 of the disk bays.

Then you must use external storage.

Even if you do dual VIOS, there are card slots for disk IOAs
which can be dedicated to an IBM i LPAR. I'm not sure why you
say with split backplane storage must be external SAN. Unless
you really meant storage will be external to the CEC.

it's about half right. Even then I think you might get away
with internal storage but it would be A) slow and B) very
limiting so certainly not recommended.