From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Sue
Baker
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 9:44 AM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: New Power8 Disk Perf Issues

"Jim Oberholtzer" <midrangel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on Mon, 25 Aug 2014
18:24:28 GMT:

We know that P8 will use internal storage, except, as I understand it,
if you have the back plane split so you can run dual VIO Servers.

No, the split backplane is supported by IBM i so you do not have to run dual
VIO servers. This means you could have VIOS for NPIV using 1/2 the disk
bays. Then sitting right beside an IBM i LPAR using the other 1/2 of the
disk bays.

Then you must use external storage.

Even if you do dual VIOS, there are card slots for disk IOAs which can be
dedicated to an IBM i LPAR. I'm not sure why you say with split backplane
storage must be external SAN. Unless you really meant storage will be
external to the CEC.

So
it's about half right. Even then I think you might get away with
internal storage but it would be A) slow and B) very limiting so
certainly not recommended.