From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Sue
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 9:44 AM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: New Power8 Disk Perf Issues

"Jim Oberholtzer" <midrangel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on Mon, 25 Aug 2014
18:24:28 GMT:

We know that P8 will use internal storage, except, as I understand it,
if you have the back plane split so you can run dual VIO Servers.

No, the split backplane is supported by IBM i so you do not have to run dual
VIO servers. This means you could have VIOS for NPIV using 1/2 the disk
bays. Then sitting right beside an IBM i LPAR using the other 1/2 of the
disk bays.

Then you must use external storage.

Even if you do dual VIOS, there are card slots for disk IOAs which can be
dedicated to an IBM i LPAR. I'm not sure why you say with split backplane
storage must be external SAN. Unless you really meant storage will be
external to the CEC.

it's about half right. Even then I think you might get away with
internal storage but it would be A) slow and B) very limiting so
certainly not recommended.