The wiki page you linked to says the same thing I did.

"The Domain Name System
<> (DNS)
has a tree structure <> or
hierarchy, with each non-RR (resource record) node on the tree being a domain
name <>.A *subdomain* is a domain
that is part of a larger domain;"

"A resource record <>, such a
A(host), CNAME(alias) or MX (mail), should not be confused with a subdomain
node. A subdomain does not point to any specific server location, while
most resource records do (resource records that do not point to specific
hosts contain specific data).[2]
<> For
example, would be a subdomain of While would be a host in the domain, dev-server-1
would not be a subdomain. Confusion on this point is being created because
some web hosting and marketing companies (that lack technical expertise)
are using incorrect terminology when requesting creation of host and cname

Domain names are a logical hierarchy. There's nothing physical about them.

If you can ping the name...then it's a resource, not a sub domain.