You make some good points Charles, but I find the following to be most

So if I owned, I'd have three name servers (assuming I delegate
authority to the sub-domains):
- for (
- for (
- for (

Those who register domain names such as "" have public
hosting providers and a public name server providers as opposed to
using a DNS registry on one's internal networks to define subdomains.

So, rather than your suggestion of having a 1-to-1 mapping between a
domain name and a DNS server on one's private network and calling that
a "subdomain", the public provider will use "A" records to define
subdomains (map, and to any public
IP address of one's choosing including the option of mapping both
subdomain names to the same IP address).