www.frankeni.com
www.iDevCloud.com
www.iInTheCloud.com

On 7/30/2014 12:40 AM, rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Actually, if by "native vlan" you mean what is set by
Virtual Ethernet Adapter Properties - vios21
General tab
Port Virtual Ethernet (VLAN ID)
they used 3999 (after getting permission from our lan guy) not 1.

Yep. 3999 eh? So they really don't have a Native Vlan in the switch config I'm guessing.

But, our lan guy really wants us out of 10.10.1 and on to 10.10.6 anyway
so I will probably end up changing a bunch of IP addresses into that vlan
anyway. Why fight a battle for a short term solution when we should move
to something else anyway?

Agreed.

Now, on to the 252 issue...
<snip>
Assuming that the Virtual Ethernet for VIOS includes 252 and that it's a
valid VLAN in yours switches AND that it's not restricted on the trunk
AND that there is another port on that VLAN with a device to talk to?
</snip>
Yes, the virtual ethernet for VIOS includes 4, 6, 209 and 252.
Yes, these are valid and have all been blessed by our network guy.
Addresses such as 10.10.4.x, 10.10.6.x, 10.17.4,x, 10.17.6.x, 209 is dmz,
252 is Mimix; like 10.10.252.x matches 10.17.252.x. Second octet
indicates city (usually), third octet normally matches vlan.

Didn't quite grasp "AND that there is another port on that VLAN with a
device to talk too?" Like is this some switch setting, a hmc setting,
what?

Just that if you're all alone on vlan 252 you can't get much dialogue going. :-)

On our old box we had two line descriptions, to two different physical
ports. One ran 10.10.1.x and the other ran Mimix 10.10.252.x. And the
other city was 10.17.6.x and 10.17.252.x for matching stuff.
Does, when I get this working right, this create two 'resources' that I
then associate with two different line descriptions and associate the
interface to the right line description?
Or is it done some how differently? Like multiple vlans on the same
resource/line description?

It Depends.

In i 7.1 yes you need a separate virtual Ethernet for each vlan. Each of those gets a line description in IBM i. And the appropriate IP interfaces attached to that line.

Now in i 7.1 you create a virtual Ethernet for ALL vlans. You check the 802.1Q box and then select as you did for VIOS all the vlans you want to be available to IBM i. Then you create a single Ethernet line description for that resource. When you add the IP Interfaces there is a new parm to indicate the VLAN associated with this IP interface. Each IP interface has a VLAN associated with it.

- DrF