IIRC that NO SCSI drives could do encryption. Needs to be Fiber or SAS for that.

As to the keys that is absolutely a concern but just like your car you don't put one set in the glove-box and one in the ignition. You put the second one in a safe place like under the mat. .....kidding..... The keys are stored in a server and a second server that is off-site. If the tape drive goes up in smoke or down in water you get a new drive and connect it to the remote server with the keys and now you can read your tapes again.

Switching between LPARs automatically with SSH script to HMC works very well. A little setup is required but after that no issue.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis