We have been asked by our auditors to encrypt our tape backups.

Currently we have a TS2900 Tape library that does our backup. It can encrypt with the application of money for the key.

We have one box in our office, with 3 LPARS. The library is attached to the production LPAR (doesn't move between LPARS) and our stand alone Ultrium drive can be moved between LPARS. Our process is to take the tapes from the tape library on the production box and by shifting the ultrium between LPARS, restore to the development LPARS.

I can't find any references if I can read the tapes on the Ultrium drive, model 3580-HS4.

We also have the an Ultrium on our DR box, but it is Mimixing, so shouldn't be an issue there.

Any pointers to manuals happily accepted. If there is a software to do this instead of hardware, please point them out.

Thanks,
Cyndi B.
Boise, ID