RE: Power 8 supports 7.1?

fixed

Pete's right on all counts.

We did carry a bunch of Power 5 equipment over to our Power 6.
We never did Power 7, which would probably have pruned a bunch of that.
It's not the first time OS alone killed hardware.

I concur. I also strongly recommend you read the Memo to Users. Multiple
times. If you think "they can't really mean..." then slap yourself and
verify.