Re: Logical Files as path for program independence (was RE: IBM i 7.2 & Power 8)

fixed

Hi John -

On Fri, 25 Apr 2014 22:07:50 -0400, John Yeung
<gallium.arsenide@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 10:02 PM, John Yeung <gallium.arsenide@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I will say this: It would be helpful if the error message when trying
to recompile a PF says something to the effect of "yeah, we can't
delete the PF because it's got dependent logicals... but you could try
CHGPF...".

Better yet, if the operating system is so "smart and capable" that it
can do all the file shuffling under the covers for us... then why
doesn't it just go ahead and DO IT when we try to recompile? It
should only give us the error message at all for the cases where a
CHGPF would NOT work.

Because CRTPF doesn't delete an existing physical file even if it
doesn't have any logical files or other dependencies.

If you use PDM option 14 to compile the PF DDS, it's PDM that deletes
the physical file, not CRTPF.

Ken