Silly question, but are the boxes the same release level?
I'm not directly involved with this (and don't even fully understand the
question), but I've been asked to ask about it anyway.

One of our contract people is reporting that the SQL "XMLELEMENT()"
built-in function, and possibly other XML-related functions, is giving
him some problems.

Anybody know why it would either (1) work fine on one box, but not
another, or (2) work fine, then abruptly stop working? He suggested that
it might be an authority issue, though I can't imagine how.