from the article:
The software initiative, called the Expeditionary Combat Support System, was supposed to manage logistics using software from Oracle. In 2006, the Air Force announced that it had awarded a $628 million contract to the Computer Sciences Corporation to serve as lead system integrator; its job would be to “configure, deploy and conduct training and change management activities” before the launch.

Strange, I think I have heard this somewhere else.
Oracle plus gobs of money, multiplied by time, equals a "wicked problem"