Gary,

David's a software vendor. He'd have to install a program on the server
to do such. Not out of the question, we are using one of the packages
from David's employer.

Some customers can get picky about adopted authority. After you've dealt
with one vendor who had an adopted authority program of simply CALL QCMD
just so the users didn't have to deal with those pesky security admins
when he called them to do somethiing; I can appreciate the reluctance of
throwing out adopted programs like lawn seed.