I put it in a CL program, which I called from both QCMD and with SBMJOB. Both resulted in only a SQL0104 diagnostic message.

I ran this, which succeeded, as expected:
RUNSQL SQL('create table qtemp/mytable as (select * +
from QIWS/QCUSTCDT) with no data') +

Then I ran this, which failed with SQL0204, which is the right message, but still only a diagnostic:
RUNSQL SQL('create table qtemp/mytable as (select * +
from ZZZZ/QCUSTCDT) with no data') +
And just for completeness, I did a SBMJOB, with the same result.

I posted a comment on the developerWork site.