LOL

Yeah, John - I knew after I wrote that post that it might be confusing - I think your replies are making things clear.

So readdir() does not do a callback or exit - it returns the next entry in the directory. So you have to manage the loop, whereas the loop is internal to the other API - whose name I can't remember more than 5 minutes ago!!

I agree that callbacks are not intrinsically tied to repetitive processes - just that, in my experience, it seems the more typical use.

Regards
Vern