The term "boot" comes from bootstrap, which any cowboy knows.

When I started in '73, we had a Burroughs (think Unisys) 1712. To boot it
we had to put a cassette tape in and push a series of buttons in the proper
sequence. As a neophyte I asked, Why? It was explained to me that it was
like starting your car; there are a whole series of things that take place
when the ignition is engaged. Simply putting the key into the "On" position
does *not* make the car/truck operational.

Al Barsa had a session at COMMON that went through all of the steps that
occurred during an IPL. I don't think Al "believed" in PDFs so I probably
don't have a copy anywhere. But it was certainly interesting.

Jerry C. Adams
IBM i Programmer/Analyst
Virginity can be cured.