Re: development/test/prod environment mini-survey

fixed

I might suggest a naming convention something like this, that helps define the goal for the particular corral.

-Sandbox, where developers truly play. Nights, weekends, off hours, personal development, off-the-wall solutions, whatever.

-Lab, where developers work out the solutions required for the enterprise.

-QA (quality assurance), where release candidates are placed for testing, evaluation, and pre-production training.

-Promotion, a staging area for movement into Production.

-Production, which is where the money is made.

Notice that I did not use either "development" or "test." That is intentional; I believe both those words have squishy definitions in people's minds, and getting consistent decisions will be impossible because of that.

I say this because in my experience, well-chosen naming conventions go a long ways towards forming solutions and encouraging decisions that meet the original intentions.