Hi, Tim:

Your shop could require all compiles for "production" programs to specify DBGVIEW(*ALL) or at least DBGVIEW(*LIST) for ILE programs, or OPTION(*LSTDBG) for OPM programs. That way, you will have a copy of the compiler listing stored inside the *PGM object itself, where you can always view it (e.g. with STRDBG) or retrieve it (e.g. using one of several open-source tools available for such a purpose). No muss, no fuss, no cabinets full of listings to maintain. A listing for each program is stored inside the *PGM object itself. *:-)*

Of course, you will need to enforce this for all "production" compiles, perhaps not accepting a program to be moved into "production" until it has been compiled that way. And you will need to transition from your current system (listings) to the new approach.

Mark S. Waterbury

> On 9/6/2012 11:47 AM, Tim Adair wrote:
1. For reference.

2. If there's an error when the program is run, I can see exactly where it

3. If part of the source member (or the whole thing) gets toasted, I can
recreate it.

4. If the pgm isn't functioning as expected, I can compare the *PGM object
timestamp to the latest compile listing.

5. Because I'm paranoid.

"Paul Nelson" <nelsonp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Why would you need to keep compile listings?

Paul Nelson
Cell 708-670-6978
Office 512-392-2577