Aaron Bartell wrote:
AFAIK you don't need it during deployment.
Correct, the WSDL is used for "code stubbing" in all the different
environments I have seen it used (mostly .NET and Java).

Actually, the new Rich UI interface uses the WSDL dynamically to provide proxy capabilities. I'm just learning about that bit, so I can't give you all the details. It has to do with cross-site request limitations.

The point I was trying to get at is that not all web services use a WSDL.
And I wouldn't bring it up period except that there is an alarmingly high
percentage of web services that don't use a WSDL (I'd estimate around 40%
depending on the industry of the remote company you are connecting to).
Not to be too pedantic about it, but if you don't have a WSDL, then you don't have a Web Service. What you have is an HTTP service that uses SOAP and XML. In that case, you just use a RESTful connection and do the parsing yourself.