Joe Pluta wrote:
And lest I spend an entire week without talking about
EGL, the browser in the iPhone is quite capable of executing
JavaScript frameworks and thus acting as a very nice rich
client interface.

If you wanted to talk about the rich UI support in EGL, you could have jumped into the discussion on Web400-l. We've been discussing, demonstrating, and evaluating rich UI frameworks off and on for about 2 weeks. You've had plenty of opportunity.

One application that I think would be a good case study for iPhone, a rich UI framework, and IBM i would be a database for mass-transit commuters. Where a chip was placed in every train and every bus to transmit its location, say every 30 seconds, and feed a database of positional coordinates that could be queried by commuters with iPhones, to accurately predict arrivals to and from any location along any route.

I'd envision a lot of transaction processing; trains and busses constantly posting their locations to a database, and commuter demands for real-time predictions. You'd need efficient database update and access capability. You'd need streamlined messaging between the database and wireless devices, as commuters would be needing realtime data and predictions that may be updated literally every second.

Actually, I think there are many applications for efficient database access, real-time access, efficient messaging between clients and server, and rich user interfaces.

Nathan.