I don't know if this is a generally accepted limitation within IBM.  They
are really still trying to determine the ills on our one 3 disk raid set
on our 570.  But, then again, maybe it's got something different in the
mix.  They've thrown iDoctor and everything else at it.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

Neil Palmer/DPS <neilp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
10/13/2004 11:18 AM
Please respond to

cc

Fax to

Subject
Re: very low end i5 performance

Thanks for the heads up.  Wonder if IBM have checked this in the Lab or if

the poor performance in that configuration is only on an 8xx system and
not a 520.  If the performance is that bad on a 520 there's obviously
something seriously wrong with the 3 disk RAID setup and if they can't
improve on that they shouldn't be selling systems that way.

...Neil

rob@xxxxxxxxx
2004/10/13 09:38

cc

Subject
Re: very low end i5 performance

Neil,

Talked to my business partner last night at our LUG.  He had a customer
that bought an 8xx box with a three disk raid set.  Very minimal usage.
Testing and development in WAS.  8 second response time.  Tried memory and

everything else.  Added a fourth drive.  Dropped down to subsecond
immediately.  "Leaves of three, let it be."

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

Neil Palmer/DPS <neilp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
10/12/2004 05:10 PM
Please respond to

cc

Fax to

Subject
Re: very low end i5 performance

Haven't actually run or seen one with a 3 disk RAID config.  Of course I'd

much prefer 4 disks with the parity striping spread over 4 arms instead of

the 2 arms a 3 disk config uses, but sometimes keeping cost down is very
important (yes you're right - that RAID card add a chunk to the config -
so another choice would be a 4 disk Mirrored config).  I can't imagine a 3

disk RAID-5 config performing worse than a 2 disk Mirrored config.

...Neil

"Jim Franz" <franz400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

"Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: very low end i5 performance

Neil - we had a prev posting approx week ago about 3 disk raid
setups that seemed to be a performance problem, any comment?
Raid card and addtl disk adds over 30% to cost of box.
jim