For US addresses having the users enter the city name is irrelevant.  Just
use software like ZipCity from WorksRight.  Enter in the zip code and have
it fill out the city and state for you.  Cuts down on keying and errors.
Gee is that Fort Wayne, FORT WAYNE, Ft. Wayne, Ft Wayne ...

Now, yes, there is life outside the US.  But my point was that users may
come up with an option that you may not even think of.

And, no, I don't get kickbacks from WorksRight.  Just a happy customer.

Benjamin Franklin

Buck Calabro <>
Sent by:
07/08/2002 08:14 AM
Please respond to midrange-l

        Fax to:
        Subject:        RE: Variable Fields on the screen

>More and more customer are asking us to have
>instead of a green screen with fixed fields
>and order, a "flexible" window where they
>could see and work with only the fields
>they need ( which of course should be user
>specific and determined before by them).

I guess I don't understand the question.  If I have a display where the
types in the customer name, address and telephone number, but they decide
they don't want to see the city field anymore, so the software lets them
drop it off the display?

How would the program deal with an incomplete address?  Just let it flow
through the system that way?

I can understand re-ordering the fields on the display; I've wanted to do
the same thing myself.  It's a fair amount of work to have a completely
user-defined panel, so have a look at UIM and user defined datastream for
some ideas on how to do it.
or email: