  • Subject: RE: Ethernet x-over cable
  • From: "Stone, Brad V (TC)" <bvstone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 13:01:30 -0600

Larry,

My understanding, at least with my cable company and most others, is that
they will not tell you how to network your cable internet, or support you if
you do it.  There's nothing illegal about it, according to Leo and Kate (TSS
on ZDTV) and they love helping people out with it.

I still have one connection to the internet, I'm just using other methods to
share that connection with more than one PC.  Plus, since I have my own
network, I still only need one IP address from the cable company.  The
server box.

I've heard of cable companies that will sell you additional IP addresses for
something like $10 a month or something, but why do that?  With a network,
you can share Cable, DSL, ISDN or even dialup with one computer.

I'm surprised to hear that your cable company won't help you with your
quest.  I know of many college dorm rooms that are all wired for cable
internet using a network.  I'm sure they pay a little more, but definatly
not for each connection.  If all else fails, you could get one line and then
set up the network yourself.  It's actually pretty simple.  And, most NAT or
Proxy software allows you to block requests to certain sites (ie don't want
the youngsters surfin porn or warez during recess).

In your mail you say you are not getting favorable answers from them, which
sounds like to me they didn't exactly say no.  You probably shouldn't have
mentioned your desire to network from one connection.  They don't like this
idea simply because it's like getting it for free.  If you would have just
had them set up one cable connection, you could have taken it from there
without mentioning it to them.

Not to mention, you hardly use any of the available bandwith of the cable
modem with one computer.  I've had all three going, all downloading multiple
things and had over 200k/sec rates according to my NAT software.  And this
is still nothing from the stated 10m/sec that a cable modem is supposed to
give.  (I know, it's the server on the other end that is slow, slow being
relative.).

Bradley V. Stone
BVS/Tools
http://www.bvstools.com