We have set up proxy servers attached to ADSL lines.  I have one at my house
and another at my office.  We have also done this at my son's school.  The
basic line is don't tell them.  Just order the service, have the cable
company (or phone company in DSLs case) install the NIC and configure a
stand alone machine to their network.  The after they leave, add a second
NIC card attached to your internal network, get some proxying software and
away you go.  The newest version of WinProxy has full NAT built in, however
their older versions work well too.  As far as running a server on it, well
that is a bit more tricky.  Most PS software will allow you to map a port on
the proxy server to an IP address/port on the internal network, so If you
have an AS400 on your internal network you can map the telnet port of the
AS400 to port on the proxy server.  Of couse the clients connecting must
know what port number will be directed to TELNET on the the AS400.  No biggy
though.  If also give a level of security since the only traffic that can
get to your AS400 is TELNET.  You could also map the WWW port (usually 80)
on the proxy to map to the WWW server (port 80) on your AS400.  I have found
that I was unable to FTP from the Internet to any FTP servers on my Internal
network even if I set up the mapped port.  I think this has something to do
with 2 ports being used for FTP, one for control and one for data.  I also
tried to map the WSG port also to no avail.  I have not had time to upgrade
the office proxy server to the new version that uses NAT to see of the FTP
and WSG problems go away.
CJG

Carl Galgano
EDI Consulting Services, Inc.
540 Powder Springs Street
Suite C19
Marietta, GA  30064
770-422-2995
mailto: cgalgano@ediconsulting.com
http://www.ediconsulting.com
EDI, Communications and AS400 Technical Consulting