Just for clarification, a regular expression is not necessary. So what
are you specifying for URI path template for the resource?

There is 2 places where it can be specified. One covers all the APIs and
is shown when you specify resource name. The other is specific to the API
when specify REST information for the API.

So what are you specifying exactly?

There is a sample program in QSYSDIR/QIWSSAMPLE that all can use. It
converts temp from Fahrenheit to Celsius. So on the resource panel, I
specify:

Resource name: QIWSSAMPLE
Service description: QIWSSAMPLE
URI path template: /{temp}

Then on Next panel TEMPIN is the input parameter and TEMPOUT is the output
parameter.

On the panel (Step 5 - Specify resource method information), I take the
defaults. However, for the Input parameter mappings table at bottom of
panel, there is a selection box for "Input source". If you select
*PATH_PARAM, the identifier selection box will be filled with available
template variables. Since there is only one, you are done.

Once you deploy, the path you would use would look something like:

http://host:10010/QIWSSAMPLE/234

And you should get a response back.