The event loop with asynchronous callbacks is poorly suited for things
like managing individual user state, database I/O, data validation,
business rules, CPU intensive processing, and other requirements of
business applications.

I was a little bit in your camp when I first started learning Node.js
(coming from RPG, then Java, and then Ruby). Other languages have
asynchronous natures as an extension of the language. Node.js (or rather,
Javascript) has it as a foundational feature of the language that you can't
escape (I initially tried :-). I didn't consider it a valuable feature
until I started learning that async could be used to my advantage if/when I
wanted to use it. For example, the validating against 8 different tables
can be easily done in Node.js ~in parallel~ or consecutively depending on
the needs of the program.

Said another way, it took me months to come around to valuing Node.js and
pursuing it instead of sticking with my still favorite language, Ruby.

Aaron Bartell
IBM i hosting, starting at $157/month. litmis.com/spaces