*>this then means you have to run your NodeJs server on the IBM i and can't
develop it locally and get all the benefits you get on the PC, like a
reloading development server when the code changes and a nice debugger*

Note I do all of my Node.js development in VSCode on my laptop and have the
source automatically sync'd to the IFS. And I have an ssh session open to
the directory of the application on the server.

Also, Node.js v8.x on IBM i supports server-side debugging through Chrome's
dev tools (and also through VSCode).

Here's a slide deck I gave at WMCPA a few days ago that details some useful
Node.js things the community can make use of:
http://krengel.tech/litmis-nodejs-all-the-things-slides

Aaron Bartell
IBM i hosting, starting at $157/month. litmis.com/spaces