Kelly,

Your assertion about Node.js "scalability" merits some clarification. That
assertion is valid in a couple of contexts. But not in others. The Node.js
event loop enables a single thread to manage thousands of socket
connections. If those connections are not doing much work, then that is a
specific case where the scalability claim is valid. The programmers who
wrote Node.js contrast the way that Node.js handles sockets with other HTTP
servers, which instantiate one thread for each socket connection, which is
a comparatively high resource utilization per socket.

The other context is when people talk about deploying Node applications to
a cloud hosting company that offers "elastic" scalability, which
essentially means deploying multiple instances of an application across a
server farm and using load-balancers to dispatch requests to a pool of
active Node.js instances. The problem with that type of "scalability" is
the cost.

Contrast that with the idea of deploying a complex ERP-class system on IBM
i. By ERP-class system, I mean one that might have a thousand database
tables, thousands of interactive applications and reports, batch processes,
and other types of workloads. Then asking IBM i to scale that "system" to
thousands or tens of thousands of concurrent users.

I hope that you can appreciate the distinction in how the term
"scalability" is used in the sense of a traditional ERP-class system. Under
IBM i, each user may be connected to and running 1-2 interactive sessions
(each session manages individual user state), and the platform may be
supporting tens of thousands of concurrently active Jobs. The platform just
handles it. Other platforms can't.

Back to talking about Node.js. It's well known that the Node.js event loop
runs in a single thread. Would that thread handle thousands of interactive
applications and reports (which is consistent with ERP-class systems), and
support thousands of concurrent users? No Way! It wouldn't even handle the
JavaScript logic required to "route" the requests for the appropriate users
to the appropriate applications; let along manage the "state" of individual
user sessions; let alone handle the callbacks that generate client

What type of "scalability" are you looking for?

On Sat, Mar 17, 2018 at 11:11 AM, Kelly Cookson <KCookson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>