I personally prefer a separate server/instance (and local IP address) for
each site I run. It's not better or worse, it's just my preference.

I would rather have a whole bunch of small config files and server
instances running than one huge config file with multiple sites all only
running on one server instance. It's nice to take each one down separately
if needed. Especially when one might be development and another
production. If you have to restart the dev server I don't wanna take down
the production server.

I think most use virtual hosts because on most PC servers you can't just
create many IP interfaces so you don't have the option. And because that
is more popular than the IBM i, that is where most of the examples come
from, and what most use (ie, that good old copy and paste we're all used
to).

It works best for non SSL. I haven't sat down to see if I can make an SSL
proxy server as well in a similar fashion, but I'm sure it's possible.

So, for SSL sites I just used virtual hosts with SNI (which is new in V7R2
I believe).

https://www.fieldexit.com/forum/display?threadid=439