Pretty much on the same page as Brad.  Initially I had a bunch of virtual host entries but still had to bounce the whole server to make one change.  This way, I can create a new instance, test it locally and bounce it as many times as I want without affecting my "production" sites (really, nothing is "production" on my servers....always tweaking) and then when I am ready, I add the entry to the reverse proxy and only have to bounce it once.

From then on, any website that needs maintenance I can shut down AND the reverse proxy stays up with an outage notice for that particular site.  Keeps it all nicely separate.

I DO use SSL (LetsEncrypt) on the sites behind the reverse proxy and somewhere, in the bowels of this folder I call "organized documents", is something I documented about it.  Just have to find it.

Pete Helgren
www.petesworkshop.com
GIAC Secure Software Programmer-Java
Twitter - Sys_i_Geek IBM_i_Geek