Among others, I am hopeful all participate who have an interest.

My biggest complaint has been the fragmentation of effort. The problem is, we are passionate about IBM i and open source (to address what Bradley was talking about) so rather than finding a group of like minded folks and banding together, we go off in single threaded style and get 'er done. Most of the folks I know in the OSS space are entrepreneurs (or started that way) rather than members of big, monolithic companies, and we entrepreneurs don't suffer policy and procedure lightly. The bigger the backer, the less likely we are to band together. So we have a bunch of very good, but disparate efforts going on. Some say this is fine, it is the nature of the OSS "independence" beast. I am not *quite* on the Ben Franklin track "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." but frankly there are just TOO many places to go and just because our friend Google can take us there doesn't mean the sites are vetted, current or have substance valuable to the IBM i OSS community.

So there are two approaches: 1) Aggregation. You can have a site that trolls the Internet looking for all things OSS and post links (been there, done that) 2) You can have a site that is dedicated to providing the latest information, documentation, code and news for IBM i OSS AND has an incubator with some funding to start and sustain some OSS projects.

#2 is what I am hoping for. I hope to start this effort with a little of both: Let's call it "discerning aggregation" with a project incubator. Right now OSS is the focus because it is the one area of IBM i that seems to have a bit of "buzz" that crosses the traditional IBM i community barriers into other technologies.

I am willing to give it one more shot because I love this platform and love what it can do with OSS. Perhaps IBM i would thrive without the effort but I am willing to try to accelerate the "buzz" and the community if I can....

Pete Helgren
www.petesworkshop.com
GIAC Secure Software Programmer-Java