This is a strange discussion, we discuss accessibility, javascript and
suddenly HTML5 and CCS3, that isn’t supported by all browsers and certainly
isn’t supported by older browsers, is fine to use?

Another thing that Maurice assumes in his calculation of lost blind souls
is that all 7 billion people on this earth speaks English, he may have to
adjust this figure to a less than a single billion and what about
accessibility for the remaining 6 billion? I don’t see accessibility for
minorities that may only speak Spanish, Arabic or other languages on the
RNIB page.

About the blind and severely visual impaired the fact is that special
tools/software are a much better solution that trying to make a webpage
readable for all simply because whatever font we use it will never enable a
blind to read it.

In practice this group of people operates the internet with products like
JAWS, zoomtext. VoiceOver, Blindtype and Fleksy (an iOS keyboard app) or
make use of robobraille.org that supports conversion of text to
sound/Braille and thereby supports Braille displays and embossers.
Robobraille happens to be developed by the National Center for Blind and
Partially Sighted Children in Denmark, an institution which one of my
ancestors Lars Rützou headed in 1909-1935. But also the build in zooming in
iPhone and iPad has been a huge improvement for visually impaired.

I have myself worked with blind people in 10 years because I previous had
the Danish Association of the Blind as a customer (an independent private
association, organized and led by people who are blind or severely visually
impaired).

Please use 4 minutes of your time to see this little film about how blind
and visually impaired works with computers and make notice of the font size
required if you are visually impaired.

http://www.wise-qatar.org/content/robobraille

IMO we do not help people by dragging others down or telling them to
disable a common used browser feature based on fear, we help them by
providing them with innovative technologies that solves their problems – if
that is lack of compassion – let it so be.

Apparently the long lived fear of javascript has survived and that has
nothing to do with helping people with disabilities, it is simply a pure
technical discussion and I don’t have to put anything on my homepage
because people will notice that nothing will work (in my demo) if they
(seeing or blind) has disabled javascript since I use EXT JS that is a pure
OO javascript client framework and has basically no HTML since that is
generated by the OO javascript. So even if I wanted to do so I couldn’t
possible do “progressive enhancement” development.

So if I lose some souls, I lose them because THEY have chosen to deactivate
javascript or maybe have an old browser version than I don’t support, not
because they have a personal disability.

The bottom line is that accessibility can be defined in many ways and there
is no possible way to make worldwide accessibility covering all browsers in
all versions with all possible browser settings and at the same time
provide any languages without extreme cost and feature loss.

We live with a daily choice of what version we support and what features
that has to be installed on both server and client side and that goes for
all persons with or without a personal disability or should we still
support DOS and Win 3.0 based on personal disability rights? Or where do we
draw the line?

I apologize to Maurice if I have offended him, but what I saw was, what I
believed was, a pure technical crusade against javascript advocated with
the offset in a group of people’s disabilities and that is in my book not
okay, especially when I had known and worked with some of these people and
know the pride most feel in being self-helped and able to function in our
seeing world. They don’t want us to change our world; they don’t want us
seeing to come every day to feed them, to bath them or to following them to
the toilet; they just want the tools to be able to navigate in our world
and most will not turn javascript processing off, if that was a barrier to
archive their goal. Never underestimate or diminish a person with a
physical disability because you find yourself better, most seems to have
the never ending melody of Billy Ocean running in their heads … “When the
going gets tough, the tough gets going” – a melody most “normal” find hard
to reach when – the going gets tough!