Why would anyone turn off JavaScript support these days though - unless they don't have any interest in using the Internet? Turning it off would preclude you from using almost every modern website there is.

I guess the point is, why would Nathan need to demonstrate his example working without JavaScript support? That would be almost as pointless as demonstrating it without CSS support.

Lack of a mouse, on the other hand, is a valid point. You should be able to navigate to any clickable element with the keyboard and hit enter to trigger the event - but that requires JavaScript :)