Mike

W3Schools should be fine for beginning JavaScript - I don't know that W3Schools has a JQuery track. You probably want both JavaScript and CSS, since JQuery uses CSS-type locators, for lack of a better word. In other words, it uses style-sheet ways of identifying things like input text boxes and items of a certain class, etc.

You might look up books at www.sitepoint.com - you may have seen Jon Paris and Paul Tuohy endorse them, too.

HTH
Vern