For that specific example I would vote for overloading and not lose data
types.

In some ways we have this with implicit type casting if you pass by
VALUE/CONST, so maybe when dealing with the many "number" data types I don't
mind "looser" typing :-) But I just don't see how allowing a number data
type to hold a character ever ends up in a good situation for the
programmer. On that note, I do agree with the ease the Kevin Schroeder
mentioned of the implicit type casting happening when doing concats, but
even in that case the number var isn't necessarily storing a character value
- it is instead being converted to char so it can be sent to the browser.

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com
http://mowyourlawn.com/blog/