From: Dr. Syd Nicholson <sydnic@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mon, November 16, 2009 9:17:25 AM
Subject: Re: [WEB400] Modernization?

Yes, I understand that.

But when the salesman comes knocking trying to sell a "modern" solution, it
is very unlikely to be based on the system i -- even IBM promote their own
X-Series. And - remember - WebSphere and Apache run on Intel. Three tier
browser based applications run on Intel.

Yes - we can "modernize" on system i -- but what sets it apart from Intel?
What makes the i sufficiently different?
Most companies have both platforms, and it very easy to see how a finance
director can save money (short term) by adding another Intel box at little
additional cost, whilst simultaneously getting rid of the iSeries and all
the iSeries staff. It also frees up office space for other purposes.

I have lost many customers because Intel was the more attractive option. It
is a trend I would like to see reversed.

I don't see how creating applications that can also run on Intel (MySQL,
Zend, Pearl, WebSphere, Java, etc. etc.) can ultimately justify keeping a
system i. I currently have two clients I am doing my best to persuade not to
go down the "modern" Microsoft route - I think I am fighting a loosing
battle. Both of them are likely to get rid of the i, and the corresponding
staff.

Syd