Hi Tim,

Timothy P Clark wrote:
You mentioned that the install fails saying that /etc/my.cnf already exists. I suspect you are using INSMYQL to install on top of an existing installation, and as I read back over my instructions to Dale, I think I am responsible for that misunderstanding.

Actually, my experiences pre-date your instructions to Dale. I'm looking at the MySQL reference manual at the following page:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/installation-i5os.html

On that page it states (quote):

The installation package will use an existing configuration if
you have previously installed MySQL (which is identified by
looking for the file /etc/my.cnf). The values for the data
directory (DATADIR) and owner of the MySQL files (USRPRF)
specified during the installation will be ignored, and the
values determined from the /etc/my.cnf will be used instead.

To me, this states that if you already have an /etc/my.cnf file, that it will use that to determine if you've already installed it, and if so, it'll upgrade it. Am I misinterpreting that?

Well, it doesn't. It bombs out saying that /etc/my.cnf already exists, and it stops the process.

I would also like to understand your statement that "the upgrade instructions in MySQL's site don't work." Are you referring to the platform-generic upgrade instructions I pointed Dale to earlier, or are you describing some part of the i5/OS specific instructions?

I'm referring to the i5/OS binary installation instructions. If there are separate i5/OS binary instructions for upgrades (Vs. installation) then I really can't find them.

The only upgrade instructions I can find in MySQL's reference are these:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/upgrade.html

These specifically state that they are for going from 5.0 to 5.1 (which is not what I'm doing... I was specifically going from 5.1.37 to 5.1.38 at the time.)

Even if you ignore that detail, these are a summary of what those instructions tell you:

a) Back up your existing database.
b) Read the notes on (link to same page you're on)
c) See the Change history.
d) *After* you upgrade, run mysql_upgrade script.
e) If you are running on Windows... (irrelevant)
f) If you are using replication... (i'm not)
g) If you are upgrading something installed by RPM.. (i'm not)
h) This now includes mysqld-max (that's nice)
i) If you have a UDF with the same name as a mysql function.. (i don't)

That's it. No instructions about how to ACTUALLY do the upgrade. Just a set of caveats, really.

Therefore, I went with the i5/OS binary install instructions.. again, they cite that if /etc/my.cnf exists, they'll use that to get settings. To me, that sounds like they're saying it's okay to install over an existing installation.

Okay -- with that in mind, I followed the binary install instructions, and they don't work. There's no mention in the instructions about the UPGMYSQL *CMD object, I discovered that command object by browsing the contents of the MYSQLINST library.

Thinking I must've missed it in the docs somewhere, I Googled for UPGMYSQL. Didn't get any hits.

I also read over the MySQL reference instructions several times. Still couldn't find any mention of anything except running INSMYSQL. Again, the i5/OS instructions do say to use INSMYSQL, and they do say (as I quoted) that /etc/my.cnf will be used for settings if it exists.

However, if it exists, the installation ends in error complaining that the file is already there!

If you delete /etc/my.cnf, but point INSMYSQL at your existing data directory, it'll bomb on that as well, telling you that the data is already there.

That's what I mean by the instructions don't work. You can't find exactly what you're looking for, but what you can find and what it seems to tell you are things that don't work. Leaving me to try to figure it out from the source code, or by trial-and-error.